My order contained:
- Sky-Watcher Explorer 130PDS 130/650mm f/5 (*)
- Baader 2″ MPCC Mark III coma corrector (*)
- Wega Primary mirror mask ring
- Lacerta Bahtinov mask (*)
- Lacerta LED Flatfieldbox 185mm
So, I’m ready to start the next chapter 😉
Even if I don’t like diffraction spikes that much and other disadvantages with Newton telescopes (collimation needed, balance challenge due to the side-attached camera, wind sensitive, …) I decided to go with a Newton.
Prices for refractors are raising and raising… This one is a really budget solution at around 700 swiss francs.
Finally more focal lenght 🙂
The new setup weighs total 6.2kg (130PDS tube, DSLR, corrector and guide scope).
At least I hope so…
What a luck… A few hours of clear sky, just 3 days after receiving my 130PDS! Best opportunity to test my new telescope under the night sky… 🙂
Of course I needed to collimate my Newton telescope. I used my laser collimator, which I already bought 2016. Fast and easy collimation, but not really reproducible! The original 2″ adapter in combination with my standard 2″ to 1.25″ adapter makes it really difficult…
It turned out that the 70D in focus position partially covers the polar scope. Fortunately if the focuser is fully retracted, the polar scope has free sight. I can’t mount my DSLR in another position in terms of balance.
To my surprise the star alignment, respectively the GoTo was easy to handle, even at 650mm focal length.
The first alignment star wasn’t visible in the LiveView area, but I know from my 400mm setup where it usually is. So one short push on the left RA button and the star was on the display 🙂 The second star then already was visible directly after slewing to it.
As I thought, focussing with the new Lacerta Bahtinov mask (*) was very easy! The reason I chosed this specific model are the finer stripes, compared to other brands. That way the pattern is much better recognizable.
Again my GEM28 worked like a charm. No freezes or other problems during the whole session 🙂
I needed to re-focus once around 90 minutes after starting the session. For sure the metal tube slightly deforms due to temperature changes much more than my Canon 400mm lens. I guess I’ll need to check the focus more often now.
Since my netbook’s display is to small to made flats on the 130PDS, so I needed a new solution.
It’s very easy to take flats with my new dimmable Lacerta LED flatfield box! Much easier than with my netbook, which I must hold all the time while taking flats…
Darks / Bias
For the darks I disattached my 70D from the focuser, covered the corrector with it’s cap and while running the darks I could disassembly the OTA. Really practical.
Since my MGEN, which controls my 70D, is attached to a tripod leg, I left the tripod outside among the DSLR. I placed the DSLR on a little chair next to the tripod.
All in all, a very successful first light 🙂