My name is Karol Novotny. I’m born 1979 in Solothurn, Switzerland. I work in an IT security company as Solution Engineer and my big passions are astrophotography and electronic music.
First, why I decided to publish this blog in English? I just want reach as much people as possible. In my opinion English is the best language for that. But my english isn’t perfect at all… Sorry if there are faults 😉
Now back to my little story: “Space-things” always very interested me since I was a kid. In 2011 I had the luck to get a telescope from a buddy. It was a Meade LX10 Schmidt-Cassegrain 8″. With it I did my first experiences in the night sky… Light pollution, alignment, star hopping… I had a lot to learn… and I still have… 😉
With the Meade I observed the most of the time Jupiter and Saturn. Saturn is my absolutely favorite planet!
In May 2015 I bought my own first telescope. And quickly I bought a DSLR for capturing these fantastic objects in the sky. This blog is my personal journal to track and share my experiences in astrophotography.
I realized very fast, the Explorer 130P is not usable for serious photography… Either I’d to buy a telescope and mount for photography and start big, or start small with DSLR lenses at less focal lengths than telescopes on a small mount.
I choosed the second option because of the financial aspect. Additional I have the possibility to walktrough the whole topic astrophotography from short to long focal lenghts.
The name star-watcher shall be a tribute to SkyWatcher, since I use their Explorer 130P SynScan and the great little red mount.
Since August, 2015 I use the SkyWatcher StarAdventurer combined with the Canon EOS 100D for all my pictures.Since June, 2016 I use the Canon EOS 70D (as primary DSLR) and the Lacerta MGEN II Auto Guider.
Since July, 2021 I use the iOptron GEM28 as my primary mount. Of course I keep the Star Adventurer for unguided usage up to 200mm focal length.
Check out my mobile observatory and visit me on AstroBin or Telescopius.
Contact eMail: karol(a)star-watcher.ch
- iOptron GEM28
- Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer
- Manfrotto MT055XPRO3
- Manfrotto MT190XPRO3/XPRO4
- Manfrotto 496RC2/498RC2 ball heads
- Sky-Watcher SynScan AZ GoTo
Telescopes / Photo Lenses
- Sky-Watcher Explorer 130PDS 650mm f/5
- Sky-Watcher Explorer 130P 650mm f/5
- TS-Optics 50mm Deluxe Guide Scope 205mm f/4.1
- Orion Mini Guide Scope 162mm f/3.2
- Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L
- Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
- Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8
- Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fish-Eye
Cameras / Guiding Cameras
- Baader Planetarium Laser Colli Mark III
- Kenko 1.4x Converter
- Gerd Neumann 77mm Bahtinov mask
- Lacerta Bahtinov Mask
- Lacerta LED Flatfieldbox 185mm
- Sky-Watcher Powertank’s 17Ah & 22Ah (upgraded)
- Intel Core i7 8700 CPU 3.2GHz (@ 4.3GHz), 6 cores, 12 threads
- 32 GB RAM
- NVME 1TB system drive (also PixInsight swap drive)
- 8 TB dedicated storage for astrophotography
- 8 TB backup storage
- Asus EeeBook X205T
- Adobe Lightroom