With the Star Adventurer I’m very mobile. Build up in about 10 minutes! So I’m not bound to a single place.
But most of the time I use my balcony in Derendingen, Solothurn (444m Alt.) for astrophotography, especially during the week. Unfortunately my field of view is limited to North and East, with best view towards East:
This field of view is OK, I can catch many DSO in North and East during a year. And of course, the sight to North is very valuable for the polar alignment 🙂
On the road
If it is perfect weather and my next day is off, I drive to one of my favorite places:
- Gurnigel in Bern (about one driving hour), 1608m alt.
- Weissenstein in Solothurn (about 25 minutes driving), 1395m alt.
Then it looks like this:
- Backpack for netbook, clothing, shoes, food and drinks
- Small case for my lovely 400mm lens
- Medium case for all the DSLR stuff
- Medium case for Lacerta MGEN2 with 50mm Guide Scope
- Big case for the Star Adventurer
- SkyWatcher 17Ah Powertank
- 2 tripods
Inside the cases every device has it’s own place. It’s enormously useful in the night: If everywhere something is in, all is complete 🙂
Almost overkill, but very well protected 😉
In the field
To be honest, I don’t use the SkyWatcher Explorer 130P anymore… only from time to time in warm summer nights. So the waiting time during photography can be bridged by observing 🙂
And of course for Moon and Sun pictures (Sun pictures always with filter protection on the scope!!!). And Saturn… but for Saturn it has too less focal length, even with a Barlow 2x 🙁